For working parents, achieving a balance between work and family life can be difficult. Every parent though understands that it is important to spend quality time with their kids. Are you scratching your head wondering what you can do together? Fed up of reading books, or watching movies with your kids? Nothing beats making your own toys and games for kids– they’re guaranteed to delight your little ones. You can find lots of ideas for games for kids online – and here is an easy craft that you can make with your kids using everyday materials. Even if you can’t make it onto a boat, you can still create a ‘fish pond’ at home with this simple craft.
- Construction papers of different colours
- Markers or crayons
- Large sheets of blue construction paper and hard cardboard (optional)
- A stick about one meter long
- String or wool about one meter long
- Paper clips – these need to be made of metal
- A magnet
How to make ‘Let’s Go Fishing’:
In this game, you can create a ‘fish pond’ in your home, and then play a fun game with your kids to try to catch as many fish as you can! Your little ones will love designing their own fish – they can paint and decorate them in lots of different ways!
- Draw fish of different sizes and different colours on construction paper.
- Write letters and numbers, or draw shapes and pictures on the fish. Perhaps your children want to decorate them with bright patterns, colours, and shapes – or, you could teach them about different types of fish, and have them try to draw those fish.
- Cut the fish shapes out, and slide a paper clip onto the mouth of each fish.
- Use an empty paddling pool or the large sheets of blue construction paper pasted on the cardboard to make a ‘pond’ – or, you can just arrange the fish on the floor.
- Turn the stick into a fishing rod: tie the magnet to one end of the string and then tie the other end of the string to the stick.
How to Play:
- Put the fish in the ‘pond’.
- Each child takes a turn to dangle their fishing rod over the fish to try to pull one out.
- The winner is the child who has caught the most fish.
- Alternatively, ask older children to fish according to letters, numbers and shapes.
Homemade toys and games for kids are inexpensive and a fantastic way to engage with your kids and spend quality and meaningful time together. This simple craft activity encourages your kids’ creativity and imagination – and they will also learn about colours and shapes. ‘Let’s Go Fishing’ will help build concentration in those that have short attention spans, too.